Health Risks Related to Mold Banner

Health Risks Related to Mold

The slimy black spots you find on your shower curtain, the slick orange layer that covers your kitchen drain, and soft white patches your dog sniffs out on the basement floor – are all reasons for worry. Household mold is not just unsightly, but can also make you sick, more so if you have asthma or other allergies. This is why it is important to call in a reputed mold removal company in Santa Rosa at the first signs of mold in your house. Read on to know what mold can do and how to combat mold problems.

What is Mold?

To begin with, it is crucial to understand what mold is. Contrary to common belief, mold is not just some simple bacteria, it is, in fact, a deadly fungus. This fungus can be orange, white, black, or even purple. While outdoor molds are important to nature and help break down plants, trees, and dead leaves, indoor mold can cause numerous health issues. Mold inside the house thrives on moisture and reproduces via spores that travel through the air. When mold lands on a damp spot in your home, they begin to multiply rapidly. If you are sensitive to mold, inhaling it can cause you many health problems.

Mold can cause allergic reactions, such as:

  • Rashes
  • Watery eyes
  • Wheezing
  • Runny nose
  • Coughing
  • Itching
  • Redness of eyes

Some mold produces a toxic substance called mycotoxins, which can lead to allergies soon after inhaling or after a few days of exposure. Some people who have asthma may be triggered to have more frequent wheezing attacks. The spores can also irritate skin and block the airways in children and other susceptible individuals.

Doctors claim that prolonged exposure to mold can also lead to compromised immune systems, fever, and serious infections of the lungs. Certain studies even claim that exposure to mold for an extended period can cause the person to suffer from memory loss and bleeding of the lungs.

Thankfully, mold can be easily spotted and eliminated. It only takes a watchful eye to find mold. The best way to arm yourself and protect your family from mold-related health issues is to conduct periodic visual inspections of your home and workplace. Musty odors are the first sign of mold. If you feel you can smell mold, clean the area with a disinfectant or bleach, and ensure the room is well ventilated. Using a humidifier in your house is a good way to ensure mold doesn’t get a chance to grow.

If you suspect mold in your house, bathroom, or even basement, waste no time. Contact West Coast Fire & Water today. We are the best mold removal company in Santa Rosa and will respond to your call right away and help you clean your house of all traces of mold. Call us today at 707-504-3708