Kitchen Safety: What to Do in the Event of a Home Kitchen Fire? Banner
kitchen safety.2111181114079

Kitchen Safety: What to Do in the Event of a Home Kitchen Fire?

Many house fires start in the kitchen. According to an estimate around 150,000 kitchen fires are reported from different parts of the country.

There are several causes of kitchen fires. When preparing food, you work with exposed flames. If these flames come in contact with a flammable object, a house fire can occur quickly.

Cooking accidents are the most common cause of kitchen fires. Be very careful when cooking a greasy dish, as it can splatter within your oven and ignite a flame.

Unattended cooking is a recipe for disaster and accounts for 33 percent of home fires. Faulty kitchen equipment is another common cause of house fires. A bad microwave or any other kitchen appliance can catch fire starting a home fire.

Despite your best efforts, a kitchen fire can occur. If a kitchen fire starts, here’s exactly what you should do.

Keep Calm

It’s important to stay calm and decide if you should stay behind and fight the fire or vacate the building immediately and call the fire department.

Gauge the intensity of the fire. If it is contained in a pan and you have a fire extinguisher handy, you might decide to fight the fire. If, however, you do not have any experience fighting fires, make your escape to safety, rather than try to extinguish it.

No matter what, call 911 immediately. Firefighters will perform an inspection to check if the fire has spread to other areas. They might also use temperature guns to detect unusual temperature spikes (which may indicate heat in your walls).

If the Fire is Small, Cut Off the Supply of Oxygen

Whenever you cook, keep a lid handy. If a stovetop fire starts put the lid on it (literally). Avoid throwing the lid. Do not remove the lid off too soon or the fire could start again. If you do not have a lid, use a pizza pan or cookie sheet.

If a pan catches fire, do not attempt to move it or hot cooking oil can splash onto the eye or you might accidentally splatter hot grease on yourself.

You might want to get the fire out of the house or try to put it out with water, but remember grease and water do not mix.

Assess and Document the Damage

After the fire has been controlled, document the damage. Take pictures and call your insurance company immediately to explain to them what happened. Do not clean up the site until advised.

West Coast Fire & Water is a leading fire restoration company in Santa RosaWe have years of experience restoring fire-damaged residential and commercial properties. There are several safety hazards in a fire-damaged building. Our pros use safety equipment and take precautions to steer clear of safety risks. To schedule a cleanup, call 707-307-6927.